Wednesday 23 February 2011

Day 06 – Your day, in great detail

I woke up at half 11. I’m aware this is very late, for some people. It’s not that late for me. Ideally, I would have liked to get up a bit earlier, but I somehow slept through 6 alarms, and since I didn’t miss anything important, I had to shrug it off and chalk it up to my body needing the extra sleep.

I got out of bed and headed straight for the shower. My shower lasted for about 20 minutes. (How much detail is ‘in great detail’? I’m sure nobody needs to know what order I washed myself in or what shampoo I use.) After my shower, I speedily dried my hair and threw an outfit together. Here is a very bad photo of said outfit:
I can only apologise for this picture

What’s wrong with this picture? My awkward pose and facial expression. The horrendous lighting. The fact that there are a million other things in the shot, including but not limited to: my clothes airer, my chaotic wardrobe, and the corner of the dresser on which the camera is stood. Basically, I have a shit camera, I’m an awkward human being, and I’m not very good at taking photos.

Once I was dressed, I added some fetching furry slippers to the outfit and headed to the kitchen, to join my housemates for food, coffee, gossip, and Eastenders on BBC iPlayer. I had a breakfast (brunch?) of scrambled eggs, toast and cherry tomatoes. After breakfast and Eastenders I went to gather my things, and came back to find my housemates had all retreated to their rooms. Charming. I drank some water and watched the tv and flicked through my notebook until it was time to leave. On leaving the house, I added a hat and these gloves to my outfit:

Fierce or what?!

 The answer is fierce.


On the way to uni, I stopped at the aptly named Nik Nax to buy some bin bags and lightbulbs. I was tempted, as always, by cheap peculiar shampoo, but resisted.I made it to my 3:15 seminar by 3:07, and then had to wait until 3:20 for the tutor to turn up. Poor effort, tutor. Of 17 names on the register, there were 5 people in the class, including myself. Even poorer effort. The seminar was for the Creative Writing Portfolio, which is essentially a dissertation for Creative Writing students: a 5000 word portfolio of writing. Even in my third year, reading my work aloud to others makes my toes curl, so I always try to avoid it, despite this not being a good move in terms of my education. Three of the five read out, all of which were very good. I never like to read out first, but in a way it’s worse to go after other people, because if theirs was good, it’s even more nerve wracking because I’m then thinking, ‘Oh god, is mine terrible compared to theirs?’ I sucked it up and read out and people seemed to like it. The tutor only corrected little things like paragraphs and continuity errors, which is both useful and reassuring to know that the story itself doesn’t need to be changed or improved, yet. The fact that only a few people ever turn up to this seminar is in some ways good, because it’s less intimidating to read your work, and because everyone chats freely to each other, so the atmosphere is generally quite friendly and relaxed. However, in another way, it sucks, because the peer-assessment element of the workshop is lost in that there are only a few other people to offer their opinion on your work. Also I feel like I should automatically get more marks because I made the effort to turn up when others didn’t. (Childish? Me? Nooo!)

The seminar finished around 5, I had a little chat with 2 of the girls, then headed off to the gym, where I met 2 of my housemates. We stayed in the gym for a little less than an hour. I decided to play around with the different kinds of workouts you can set on the machines, and ended up doing some kind of interval training on the bike. I thought I was going to die. If the saying ‘no pain, no gain’ holds true, then this must be bloody effective, and I will be doing it more often. I then did a few weight training exercises and called it quits. Even though I’ve been going for a while, I always feel like a bit of a newbie at the gym. Oh well. I’m building up to going 4 times a week, for an hour and a half each time.

On the way home from the gym, we stopped at the shop, and I bought a scratchcard. I did not win anything.

When we got home, I made a tea of fish cakes, sweet potatoes, green beans, courgettes, red onion, and salad with honey mustard dressing. For pudding I had a little bar of Dairy Milk chocolate and a cup of Yorkshire Tea. One of my housemates from last year, who has been studying in France this year, has come to visit for a few days. She’s gone out tonight and I just missed her when I got home, which is a shame. The rest of my evening was pretty uneventful. I watched some tv, looked for dresses for my End of Year Ball (I didn’t find any) and caught up on some reading.

So far? Confusing


My housemates started watching Paranormal Activity 2, which I didn’t really want to watch, because I haven’t seen the first one, so I came up to my room. Which brings us up to the present moment. I am currently reading blogs, catching up on work, and psyching myself up for sleep.

How’s THAT for great detail?!

No comments:

Post a Comment